Sunday, August 15, 2010

Everything stops for tea

Remember that old ditty about the English penchant for afternoon tea? It covers a lot of ground, talking about various activities that all stop for tea, and the final verse goes:

Now I know just why Franz Schubert
Didn't finish his unfinished symphony
He might have written more but the clock struck four
And everything stops for tea

We have it all wrong in this house at the moment. Everything stops for painting.

Yesterday: undercoat. Today: gloss. Picture rail, windows (three of them, with it being a bay), and skirting board. Takes between six and seven hours to get round the whole room - longer than doing the walls because by this stage I have to be careful with the edges, and there are a lot of edges - so it's no wonder I feel like I've done a day's work by the time I'm finished.

As for tea, well I don't stop for it. I drink it on the go. Mind you, that doesn't have to mean a break with tradition. I've been picking up my brush around 8am, so by the time "the clock strikes four" I'm done with painting for the day!

No comments: