Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Chocolate

Here's a test. Buy yourself a Twirl and eat one bar. How long can you leave it before you eat the second bar? In my case the answer is "leave it? What do you mean leave it?" There is no concept of a pause between the first and second bars. (Maybe this is what Bon means by "bothbarson"?) And yet I know there are people in the world who might even get to the point where they've forgotten there is a second bar.

I'm sure this is another example of how my upbringing ruined any chance I ever had of a normal eating pattern. It was always "finish your dinner!" "You'll sit at that table until every scrap is eaten up!" "If you don't eat it today, you'll have it again tomorrow" etc, etc. No matter how large the portion or how inedible the meal, those plates had to be licked clean. Bags of sweets and bars of chocolate? Same approach. To be finished in a single sitting and the quicker the better. No concept of savouring the moment. No, the right way to deal with it was only two letters away from savouring, but a metaphorical universe separated the two. The right way was: devouring.

I had eighteen years to learn this lesson and, so far, I've been unable to UNlearn it in the intervening 32 years.

2 comments:

Tvor said...

but if they're selling you two fingers of it in the same package, aren't you meant to eat both ? Far be it from me to break the rules. :D

Anonymous said...

It's actually an EU directive that you can't pause between bars

nice interpretation of blog title btw...:-]