Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fame at last - even if only for a few seconds

The moment we've been waiting for since we entertained the Granada film crew back in April finally arrived this evening when I appeared on the BBC4 programme The Book Quiz.

We almost missed it. The other four programmes in the series had been broadcast at 11pm but this one - the fifth and final one in the series - was brought forward for some reason to 9.30pm. If it hadn't been for the eagle eyes of two of the other book club members we would not only have missed it but also failed to record it.

You can read my full review of the programme here but basically the programme is a pretty standard quiz with several different rounds, one of which is where the contestants watch footage of a book club discussing a book and try to guess which book it is. The discussion is very cleverly edited to make it tantalisingly difficult to guess, and any references to the title, author, or obvious plot points are edited out.

It was a bit of a schizo experience seeing myself on the telly. On the one hand it was desperately weird. It is, after all, quite out of the ordinary. On the other hand, it was me, and I'm very familiar with seeing me every time I look in the mirror, so in a way it seemed perfectly normal. I don't know if that makes any sense, but as the whole programme is only 30 minutes long and this is but one short round, I was hardly on screen long enough to register if I'm honest.

No comments: