Saturday, July 24, 2010

Curreh!

Travelling to experience the delights of eastern cuisine is nothing new for us. When I first came to Manchester as a student we'd think nothing of piling six of us in a car and driving from Nottingham to Manchester for a curry, and then driving home again.

Last night, we made the pilgrimage in the reverse direction, the only concession to age being that we stayed over for the night rather than driving back in the same evening. These days, a whistle stop in Bridgford has the added bonus that we can, as I put it, "reset the visit flag" with mother without spending too much time trying to think of news to tell her that she'll forget again five minutes after we've related it, or insisting for the fifth time in half an hour that we don't want a coffee, thanks.

The restaurant of choice this time, at Ian's suggestion, was the Bombay Bridgford, just opposite the cricket ground. Traditional décor and seating, but those were the only aspects of this venue that could be considered run-of-the-mill. We enjoyed a much warmer than usual welcome from the smiling greeter, and the interesting and eclectic menu mixed some exciting specials among the more usual fare of kormas and jalfrezis. Having insisted before we set out that I wouldn't just go for the hottest thing on the menu, in the end I plumped for the chicken Jai Puri; the... er... hottest thing on the menu. So hot, in fact, that it came with a health warning.

"Have you had a Jai Puri here before?" asked the waitress.
"No," I smiled back, "but I have thirty years' experience eating very hot curries."

As it turned out, I needed every year of that experience to weather the waves of extreme chilli in this dish. Every mouthful tasted like boiling water on the tongue, among the more subtle flavours of coriander, cinnamon, vinegar, lemon and so on that make very hot curries such an irresistible choice for me. Absolutely delicious, and I made sure the owners knew how much I enjoyed their hospitality. Even the Peshwari nan was above average.

We don't eat out in Bridgford very often these days but it's a sure bet that we'll be returning to this place.

4 comments:

Don said...

I used to like a hot curry from time to time - beads of sweat on my brow - but Karen doesn't like it hot so I haven't had it for a long while. You've just made me hungry for it.

Digger said...

Nikki doesn't like it (too) hot either, but I'm guessing Vancouver Island doesn't have anywhere you can simply go and pick different strength dishes off the menu :(

You could always order something in from www.chilliworld.com and add a few drops to your portion! Last time she was here, Mary Sue brought me a selection of Blair's chilli sauces and they're awesome.

Don said...

Good idea!

Tvor said...

I like hot but not torture level hot! Graham will go hotter than me, not sure if he'd go to your extreme levels lol