Saturday, July 10, 2010

Vinyl: Blind Dog at St. Dunstan's

Artist: Caravan
Owned on digital media: No
Want to replace: Yes

And so we reach the first (alphabetically) of the Caravan albums in my original collection. The default position for "Want to replace" for the next 8 entries will be yes (apart from the two I already have), which is not surprising when you learn that for many years Caravan were my favourite band. Hard not to tell the entire story in this first post but I guess I should save some of the interesting bits for later.

So what to say about this one? It's notable in that it is the only one in my Caravan collection I didn't pay for. It's the first (and so far only) prize I won in a radio phone-in contest. I happened to be listening to Radio Nottingham (not a frequent or regular occurrence) one summer's holiday when the competition question "who are the only two members of the original line-up still with Caravan." To a fan of my calibre the answer - Pye Hastings and Richard Coughlan - was a doddle, so I phoned up and left my message. I was back at Uni when the result was announced and had it not been for my mate Pete being an avid RN listener (at the time) I would never have been able to claim my prize.

As it turned out that may not have mattered too much because, to put it politely, this is not one of their better efforts.

1 comment:

Don said...

Thought I'd heard of all the Brit bands back then.
Never heard of this one.