Monday, July 26, 2010

First night camping

Well, I say camping. We're on the sofa bed in the study - "camped out" for the duration of the work that's going on in our bedroom. The ceiling is due to come down today, for reasons explained earlier.

Our new IKEA sofa bed "LYCKSELE" (??) proved remarkably comfortable. To say we've left a 6-foot bed and moved to what is effectively a "put-you-up" that's only fractionally wider than a traditional double (4 foot 6), the experience felt nowhere near as cramped as I was expecting. We both agreed that it will be fine for the expected five-week hiatus, and more than adequate as an occasional guest bed. The mattress is firm without being hard, there are no creaks or wobbles from the frame, so all in all the camping is going pretty well on the evidence of one night.

Even the eerie blue light from the PIR detector that clicks on whenever either of us moves has its uses. With dark-adapted eyesight, it illuminates the room very well for those essential nightly sojourns to the bathroom.

There is one blue light that I'll have to do something about though, and this will raise a hollow laugh in at least one young lady reader. That flashing blue light from my PC when it's in sleep mode will have to go. But that's OK. I found the BIOS setting for it this morning. I have the power to change the power down mode :o)

1 comment:

Don said...

It's good to check out different sleeping places. Kind of like camping. I think the body likes it too, although we humans tend to fall into same old same old.
Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.