Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Graduand

I always remember it being "The Graduate" but I guess that means someone who has already graduated. What I learned today, and the first time I'd ever heard the term, is that someone in the act of going through the process of graduation is a graduand.

And how do I know this?

Because I attended Nat's graduation ceremony this morning.

I always hesitate to say that any one particular event or occasion has made me proud of either or both of my daughters, because the simple fact is that never a day goes by without me thinking how proud I am of them. I used to get really pissed off when someone would say to my mother "oooh he's a credit to you, Kath." I remember thinking "hang on, this is me. I've done this, not her." So I'm not going to fall into the trap of taking any credit for the wonderful people they've turned into. They're a credit to themselves, which is way, way more important than being a credit to me. In everything they do, write, or say. In every joke they crack, every kind word or deed, every mistake corrected or lesson learned, they fill their old Dad with wonder and pride and joy.

So, before this turns into a total gushfest of fatherly sentiment (too late! LOL) I'll bring it back to today, which if you like was a crystallisation of all of that, and more. The ceremony was relatively short, which was a blessing. A little of the Vice Chancellor and his soporific tones goes a long way, and on top of that I had... er... company. It was... not exactly comfortable, but, well, let's just say it could have been worse. Before we knew it the first of the 204 graduands was mounting the stage to collect their faux certificate (yes folks, that's a fake scroll they collect - it has to look good for the cameras) and I knew Nat would be concentrating on one thing - getting up and down those stairs without having a pratfall in full view of the assembled throng and those darned cameras.

I soon worked out that the ceremony was proceeding in alphabetical order of degree which meant we'd have the longest possible wait for the Zoology grads, but they zipped through the other 180-odd in record time and pretty soon I was on my feet trying to get a decent shot of The Handshake. I'd been practising with burst mode on my camera expecting that to give me four or five decent shots of the crucial moment. Big mistake. Rather than the one decent shot I would have been guaranteed had I stuck with the tried and trusted method, I ended up with four blurry snapshots on which Nat is barely recognisable. I redeemed myself (somewhat) later by capturing on video the replay of the "graduation DVD" footage that was being repeated on a loop in the other building.

And then suddenly... it was all over. Mother jumped a cab back to the train station and as neither Nat nor I really fancied sticking our little fingers out at the champagne reception, we drove home, stopping on the way to collect a celebratory Sub sandwich, which I reckon must taste even better when you're eating it as a fully fledged Bachelor of Science :o)

1 comment:

Tvor said...

Gosh it seems like she only just entered uni and now she's a grad!! I can understand people attributing the successes of a child to a parent. I realize, that yes, they are also a credit to themselves but a good parent is going to give the child that solid foundation as well. Some kids who don't get a good start in life still manage to find it in themselves and they will succeed as well and some that get a good start still go off the rails but all things being equal, if a child has parents that love and respect them, encourage them and show them all that's good in the world, they'll be a credit to them as well as themselves.

Well done, Nat!