Sunday, June 08, 2008

A day for DIY #2

Forecast fine for today so I leapt into action after morning coffee to apply a coat of woodstain to the conservatory.

Despite the previous owner having told us it should be done every year, I don't think he ever did it. Either that or he used some naff hummus-muncher's compound that's kind to the environment but doesn't last five minutes. Whatever the reason, the woodwork looked decidedly grey after only 18 months, so I took my brush firmly in hand and my swizzle stick in the other (for stirring, you understand) and off I went.

Three hours or so later, the edifice was glowing a deep mahogany brown and I was glowing a slightly less attractive shade of red since the sun had reached and passed its zenith and the day was more than a little warm.

By way of a break, and because it was slightly cooler indoors than out, I then took my courage in both hands and attempted to refit The Brackets. This was not a cool job. Either physically or emotionally. But after much cursing, and an interim abortive selection of yet another wrong fixing (even though supposedly designed especially for medium weight tasks in a traditional brick wall) I did prevail.

Just with The Brackets though. By the time I got through with them, I didn't trust my temper with the Actual Pole. Not to mention The Finials which, being glass screwed into brass, tend to fall apart at the slightest provocation. No. Not today. Calm, calm, calm.

1 comment:

Gloria Horsehound said...

You've done a good job, it looks very nice.