Monday, June 16, 2008

All systems stop

Our plumber arrived this morning to take off the old radiators. A simple enough job, you might think, but I've been fooled by such thoughts before. There's always a frozen joint or a corroded bit of pipe to trap the unwary, and the last time I tried to do this for myself we had to put up with a weeping crack for weeks. I vowed there and then to leave such things to the professionals, so here he was.

Removed in a jiffy (to reveal some truly hideous 1970s "pine effect" wallpaper) I felt comfortable calling the plasterer to fix a date. Had I been more of a project manager, I could have dovetailed these two jobs nicely together. But we know the score on that one, so I'd done things serially. As a result the plasterer has now entered a busy period. He can't fit us in until July 4th, so the whole project has moved back three weeks. Still, I can't approach home projects with the same level of planning (and stress!) associated with work projects. They don't, except in rare circumstances, have deadlines, so we'll take the three weeks delay and use it to do something else :o)

No comments: