Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sorry?

Been a while since I saw any licence plates worth commenting on, and then in the traditional manner of buses, two came along at once.

The first on my visit to Slough this week: V60 RRY. Only it was spaced with the V out on its own and from a distance it read: V SORRY. Wonder what the owner was sorry about?

The second I spotted in the office car park on my way out: M30 HMY, again spaced out - somewhat illegally - as M3 OH MY (me oh my), which although mildly amusing did strike me as a bit pointless (don't they all?), even if it was attached to a BMW M3.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the intention was that it should read, "M3. Oh my!"

Tvor said...

Saw one yesterday on a red Ford Mustang "SCNDLUS"

ps twice this week my upwords turn to you has bounced back after 50 or 60 hours queuing. Retried this a.m. to bt addy instead of the beresford.com

Digger said...

Miss T: yanno wot? I never thought of that. Could well be.

Teev: don't you hate it when they're really contrived like that? The Canuck system is so open (ANY 8 characters, IIRC) it shouldn't be necessary.

Anonymous said...

You guys really need to adopt a north american license policy. I see some brilliant ones every day.

The last one was "HER NIBS", now I'm not sure what you think it means but I think it's damn funny if not a little risky.

Digger said...

HER NIBS - the distaff version of HIS NIBS. A term used, on the face of it, as an honorific (as in "her honour"; "her ladyship"), but implying that the target has a overly high opinion of themselves.

Nothing to do with "nips", trust me.

But yeah, the last time our licensing system ran out of time and they were designing this current one that came into effect in 2001, I really hoped they'd just go for something simple like the North American system.