Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Insignia - you drive; we nag

I made the mistake of giving the local Vauxhall dealer my email address, so every now and then I receive a gentle reminder that it's been a while since I bought a car. The reminder usually includes a supposedly tempting offer I can't refuse and/or an "irresistible" graphic of their latest climate change inducing product.

Nothing, however, could have prepared me for what arrived in my much-abused Inbox yesterday.

This is the Vauxhall Insignia. "Designed to make life easier," the marketing blurb trumpets, "new Insignia is packed with technological innovation:" and then proceeds to supply a bulleted list of features clearly intended to make the prospective car buyer's mouth water.

My mouth watered alright. Only it was the kind of watering that usually precedes vomit. Especially when I reached the final point.

"The Front Camera System even reads speed limit signs and displays a reminder"

Whoop-di-do! You know, that's really useful. Cos my eyes aren't that good any more and I find it hard to read those little round red "30" signs when I'm doing 85 past my local primary school. So a dashboard reminder is guaranteed to make me think "oh - 30 is it? Gosh, I'd better slow down right away."

Good grief.

'Course, it's only a matter of time before that "Front Camera System" is connected directly to the throttle and rather than displaying a reminder it will simply adjust the speed for you. Welcome to Stepford.

1 comment:

Gloria Horsehound said...

Oh I don't know anything about cars. All I know is that I need two cushions to see over the steering wheel.
The question being should moaning old midgets be allowed to drive cars?
Don't answer that.