Thursday, July 26, 2007

Never one around when you need one

Out driving today I approached a roundabout at the top of the Sharston by-pass preparing to join the M60. The driver in front of me took an age to pull out onto the roundabout, missing several long gaps in the traffic and when they did eventually make a move, they continued to make exceedingly slow progress both across the roundaboout and at the top of the slip road, which was empty. I overtook the car. The driver, a woman, held a mobile phone to her ear and was chatting animatedly with no regard for anyone else on the road.

A few minutes later, travelling on the motorway itself, the driver in front of me realised at the last second that his lane had turned into a slip road and he was about to exit the motorway. He veered across, at speed, right in front of me. If the lane to my right had not been empty I would've been unable to avoid him. As I passed I noticed he too had a mobile phone in his hand - his left hand this time, presumably to avoid it being noticed.

Eighteen months we've had legislation outlawing the use of handheld mobiles while driving. When are we going to get some enforcement of that law?

No comments: