Thursday, July 19, 2007

Perfect timing

The day dawned bright and clear, which was a surprise in itself, but the surprise was compounded when the doorbell chimed and it was our friendly roofer to say he was making good use of the sunshine and had arrived to fix our roof.

Hurray! At last those damp patches will dry out on the study ceiling and I can get on with decorating the second half of the room.

But for today the important job was to cut the two lengths of skirting to go behind the rads that are being fitted tomorrow. I hunted around and found the two halves of my mitre saw (one in the shed, one under the backup dining table) and started in on the job.

One slight drawback: this is 6" skirting and my mitre saw will only do a 4¼" cut. So I had to complete most of the cut and then turn the board over to finish it off from the other side. With care, it worked out OK. One of the cuts was off by more than the others, but as I'm painting the boards anyway I'll be able to fill and sand the join and you'll never know the difference. Allegedly.

No comments: