Sunday, January 27, 2008

An experiment: whisky vs gin

We have a cupboard full of booze. Not that we're mad drinkers or anything. It's been garnered slowly over years. Duty free gifts from family members; remains of interesting things left over from parties; even one or two bottles I brought home from helping a mate clear out his Mum's place when she went into sheltered accommodation.

Thing is, with all this choice, we tend to drink the same stuff. Gin and tonic, mainly, and the odd vodka and coke when I can get my hands on a bottle of vanilla vodka. So when the tipple of choice is exhausted, we buy another bottle, and the stock of other stuff sits there gathering dust.

So I decided after Christmas that this was a daft situation. I was driven by my sudden inability to stash a bottle of Eiswein we received as a Christmas present owing to the drinks cupboard being chocca. In a moment of clarity that is probably the nearest thing I'll get to a New Year's Resolution this year, I determined to drink up "the other stuff" before buying any "new stuff."

Since I prefer, in the main, long drinks (as you'll have noticed by the mention of G&T and VAC above) tonight was the first evening that I was on whisky and gingers. It must be about...oh, let me see...thirty years (*vbg*) since I last drank this particular tipple, preferring as I have recently, single malts with just a cube or two.

Anyway, here's the thing. Drink for drink it's apparent that whisky and ginger gets me drunker than G&T! Who'd 'a' thunk it? Three WAGs was way more potent than the FIVE G&Ts I've been known to put away on the odd Sunday when I feel like I don't want the weekend to end. I'll have to slow down if I'm to see this mopping up exercise through, or it'll be me needing mopping up!

No comments: