Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Five and the conspiracy of fate

Why is it only when you're in a hurry that hold-ups occur?

Like the last two nights - we needed to be home early, scoff some dinner as quickly as possible and rush off to help with the panto. Any "regular" day, Nikki will get out of work up to five minutes after finishing time. Both yesterday and today she's had to take a call at the last minute, and not been out until fifteen minutes later than normal.

Then there's the road to the community hall where the Players play. 99 times out of 100 it's empty. We travel that road innumerable times to go shopping, or into Chorlton, to fetch decorating materials. We even go that way occasionally to the Trafford Centre. It's never busy. Tonight, when we're already running late, we find a learner driver trying to turn out into the main road in front of us, and then when we finally lose her there's a blimmin' taxi in front of us doing a three-point turn! Does my head in.

1. Where do you like to walk?
In the park near where we live. It's a traditional Victorian "urban" park with an avenue of trees and a lake. When I lived in Nottingham I used to like to walk by the river, but somehow I don't fancy doing that beside the Irwell.

2. What does your hair look like?
Like I'm bothered. Short, greasy at the moment because I haven't washed it for a while on account of the shower not working, and with increasing amounts of head showing through.

3. What are you jealous of?
I thought for ages about the answer to this. Jealousy is such a negative emotion that I squash it whenever it arises. If I ever feel it, however briefly, it tends to be when someone achieves something that I've been either wanting or trying to achieve and not yet made it. But that's because it was their turn. Being jealous won't help me get there. So I have a pang, occasionally, and then it goes away.

4. What kind of promises do you make?
How many different kinds are there? I tend not to make promises. I don't like letting people down. But if I commit to doing something then I do it. Sometimes reality gets in the way though.

5. What makes you stare?
Bizarre punkish hair-do's or extraordinary body piercings. And being deep in thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What makes you stare?
Do three legged dogs count?

Digger said...

Yes, but eight-legged dogs even more so.