Thursday, January 24, 2008

I heart you? Gimme a break

I've bemoaned the parlous state of English usage on here before, but I've seen this several times recently and for some reason it really bugs me.

OK, OK, I know English is a "living" language and that's part of its strength and yadda yadda, but another part of its strength is its rules. Years ago - why it may even be "thirty years ago" - we started to see these cute little bumper stickers with the heart on. I love New York they said and we all knew it and more to the point we all said it. The heart was just an original and cutesy way of saying love. It wasn't literal.

And now? Everywhere you look people are writing "I heart you." I heart this, I heart that. It's flippin' meaningless you morons. Heart is not a verb. You can no more heart something than you can kidney it. Get a grip. It's not big and it's not clever. And even more importantly, it's not English.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can go one step worse than that and say

'I less than three you'

Digger said...

Oh. My. God. Please tell me people don't actually say that.